The Sermon On the Mount
Matthew, Chapter 5
Matthew 5:7) Blessed [are] the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
In regards to “Blessed are the merciful,”
“Compassionate, benevolently merciful involving thought and action. As referring to believers it occurs only in Mat_5:7, “Blessed are the merciful ones” (a.t.), not merely those who express acts of mercifulness, but who have this attribute as a result of the indwelling God” [Word Study].
“The merciful care and reach out to help those that are in need, without demanding that they deserve such help” [Guzik].
“They shall obtain mercy – Whatever mercy therefore we desire from God, the same let us show to our brethren. He will repay us a thousand fold, the love we bear to any for his sake” [Wesley].
Psalm 18:25) With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright;
Matthew 6:14-15) For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15) But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Matthew 7:1-2) Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2) For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Matthew 18:32-33) Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
33) Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Luke 6:38) Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
In A Nutshell:
Galatians 6:7) Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
2Corinthians 9:6-8) But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7) Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8) And God [is] able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all [things], may abound to every good work:
If you want corn YOU MUST PLANT CORN!! If you want mercy, plant mercy; if you want forgiveness, plant forgiveness; if you don’t want judgment, don’t plant judgment; if you want to receive from the Lord, plant the seed of giving to others! And when you sow, do it bountifully!
Walk of Grace Chapel, Council Bluffs Church