Psalm 1:1-6) Blessed [is] the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 Who Say: God Blesses You If:
(CEV) God blesses those people who refuse evil advice and won’t follow sinners or join in sneering at God.
(MSG) How well God must like you– you don’t hang out at Sin Saloon, you don’t slink along Dead-End Road, you don’t go to Smart-Mouth College.
2 Who Say: You Will Be Happy If:
(BBE) Happy is the man who does not go in the company of sinners, or take his place in the way of evil-doers, or in the seat of those who do not give honour to the Lord.
(GNB) Happy are those who reject the advice of evil people, who do not follow the example of sinners or join those who have no use for God.
What Not To Do If You Want To Be Happy:
- Take the advice of anyone whose counsel is not built upon the principles of Christianity. Ungodly = Not in line with God
- Do the things that unbelievers are doing. Sinners = living outside of God’s counsel
- Find your rest with those who mock religion, mock the thought that something might be sinful, and scoff at the idea of God. Scornful = Sneering at the very thought of God
2) But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
(CEV) Instead, the Law of the LORD makes them happy, and they think about it day and night.
(GW) Rather, he delights in the teachings of the LORD and reflects on his teachings day and night.
(MSG) Instead you thrill to GOD’s Word, you chew on Scripture day and night.
What To Do If You Want To Be Happy:
1. Don’t take the advice of anyone whose counsel is not built upon the principle of Christianity.
- Don’t do the things that unbelievers are doing.
- Respect the teachings of Christianity.
- Learn to love God’s Word.
3) And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
(BBE) He will be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, which gives its fruit at the right time, whose leaves will ever be green; and he will do well in all his undertakings.
(CEV) They are like trees growing beside a stream, trees that produce fruit in season and always have leaves. Those people succeed in everything they do.
(MSG) You’re a tree replanted in Eden, bearing fresh fruit every month, Never dropping a leaf, always in blossom.
God’s Promise To You If You Will Delight In His Word:
1. He will supply you with the necessary things for growth.
- You will be fruitful and always in bloom.
- You will be successful in those things He calls you to.
4) The ungodly [are] not so: but [are] like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
5) Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6) For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
A Closing Illustration:
A professor in a world-acclaimed medical school once posed this medical situation — and ethical problem — to his students: “Here’s the family history: The father has syphilis. The mother has TB. They already have had four children. The first is blind. The second had died. The third is deaf. The fourth has TB. Now the mother is pregnant again, The parents come to you for advice. They are willing to have an abortion, if you decide they should. What do you say?” The students gave various individual opinions, and then the professor asked them to break into small groups for “consultation.” All of the groups came back to report that they would recommend abortion. “Congratulations,” the professor said, “You just took the life of Beethoven!”
We believe this was first reported in an Ann Landers column.
Don’t believe something, or do something simply because everyone is doing it. See what the Scriptures teach.
Walk of Grace Chapel, Council Bluffs Church